Pegasys Staff Position
PEGASYS is an advisory group focusing on developmental impact in emerging economies. We are trusted advisors and partners to the public and private sector, helping them develop vital public infrastructure and manage natural resources. We are head-quartered in Cape Town, South Africa. We address global issues, but our work is focussed and delivered predominantly in South, East and West Africa.
PEGASYS has established a satellite office in London to enable us to build closer collaboration with UK and European clients. Our London team focuses on issues associated with innovative finance for development, strategic infrastructure, clean energy, development of new solutions and business models for natural resource management and climate change.
Pegasys is now looking to recruit an able consultant on a 2 year contract to support delivery of a new assignment on Forests Governance Markets and Climate Change (FGMC), for the Foreign Commonwealth Development Office of the UK Government. FGMC is FCDO’s flagship forestry programme. Active since 2011, it aims to bring about governance and market reforms that reduce the illegal use of forest resources, facilitate sustainable trade flows and benefit poor people who depend on forests for their livelihoods. A global programme with an extensive track record, FGMC is an important part of the UK government’s broader international initiative on climate. The programme will be represented at COP26 in Glasgow starting in November this year.
You will have an opportunity to contribute to FGMC’s impressive track record through responsibility for:
- Knowledge management: synthesizing lessons learned from project delivery and adapting them to be suitable for external audiences (including policy makers, senior civil servants, and academics)
- Communications: including conveying specialist technical insights for sector professionals as well as to general audiences using formal print and social media
- General programme reporting on the assignment: collecting data and evidence to report to the client as well as providing analysis and insight on the impact delivered by the programme
You will also be expected to provide programme management, technical research on the topic of Forest Governance and administrative support to the Team Lead as required.
- 2.5 year contract
- Location: We have a Central London office but are currently working 100% remotely. We expect to continue to support some degree of flexible home working in the medium and longer term and will actively review the situation as the pandemic evolves.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- 1-3 years’ experience of project or program management in the fields or natural resource management, social impact, environment, climate change or other demonstrably relevant fields
- Experience supporting the communication of development impact and enabling effective knowledge management
- A master’s degree in an appropriate field including (but not limited to) Economics, Environment, Finance, Development Finance, and / or International Relations.
- Willingness to travel, with experience living or working in developing countries.
- Knowledge of forest governance, climate change and international development.
- Experience and interest in grant and challenge fund management
- Research skills, including familiarity with research methods.
- Experience in a management or strategy consulting environment
- A good understanding and demonstrable interest in the political economy of African and other Emerging Market contexts and the economic and political dimension of environment and development planning.
KEY SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
This role calls for several specific skills and characteristics in the candidate, including:
- Self-motivated, self-driven, with the ability to work independently and deliver tasks entirely at the level of quality expected, with minimal supervision or guidance.
- A team player who is productive working in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary environment.
- Desire to contribute towards making the world a better place, and belief that a small group of committed and hard-working individuals can have a significant impact.
Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
*Applicants must have the right to live and work in the UK