Pegasys Staff Position
PEGASYS is an advisory group driving developmental impact in emerging economies. We work to solve complex problems and improve overall quality of life. We are trusted advisors and partners to the public and private sector, and support our clients to develop infrastructure and manage natural resources.
Our specialists are from a broad range of disciplines, which include engineering, law, finance, economics, international relations, policy, the humanities and science. Together we form a multidisciplinary team and bring our diverse skillset and experience to take on challenges facing the developmental sector.
Principal (Dar es Salaam)
- Pegasys is seeking to recruit a suitably qualified individual, on a permanent basis, as a Principal in the Transport Practice.
- The appointee will be based in Dar es Salaam (Tanzania), and must be prepared to live and work full time in the city.
- The Dar es Salaam Bus Rapid Transit (DART) system is the largest integrated public transport network currently undergoing implementation on the African continent.
- Pegasys and its partners have been appointed by the Government of Tanzania to provide assistance in the implementation and operationalisation of DART Phases 1, 2, 3 and 4 of the system over the next 3+ years.
- This will entail support across all facets necessary to enable and sustain a bus rapid transit (BRT) system – technical, legal, institutional, organisation, economic, financial, and transactional.
- To this end, Pegasys is establishing on-the-ground capacity in Dar es Salaam to support this assignment.
Job Description and Responsibilities
- In the short-term, the appointee’s responsibilities will be focused on the DART assignment, including (but not limited to):
- Representing Pegasys on the ground with this project, and establishing relationships and trust with the client and other key project stakeholders;
- Managing the project and deliverables from Pegasys’ perspective, and working closely with the client, stakeholders, and partners to coordinate such;
- Undertaking, contributing to, and delivering project work assigned to Pegasys and its project team;
- Working closely with the Pegasys project team remotely located in Cape Town and other offices; and
- Working closely with Pegasys’ consortium partners and their representatives;
- Specifically, the appointee’s DART project work may involve (but not be limited to) consultation, management, and delivery of project aspects related to:
- The overall operational architecture and specification of the DART system, service plan and model, and the transaction structure for potential public-private partnerships with bus operators and other system service providers;
- Development of concept notes, pre-feasibility studies, and detailed feasibility reports to obtain the necessary approvals (including public-private partnership approvals) to implement the system;
- Integration of the informal public transport industry into the new public transport network;
- Procurement of private sector service providers/partners; and
- Oversight and management of system implementation and operationalisation.
- The appointee’s responsibilities will also explicitly extend to the following, with the overall aim of growing Pegasys’ business presence in Dar es Salaam and the region:
- Establish and grow a Pegasys office in Dar es Salaam;
- Secure, grow, and oversee an expanding Pegasys mandate on the DART project;
- Grow and sustain a business network in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, and East Africa with relevance to Pegasys’ interests; and
- Establish relationships and develop business outside of the DART project, in Tanzania and East Africa.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Engineering, Economics/Finance, Business Administration, or similar.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience, preferably part or all of it in Africa.
- Experience in the design, implementation, and/or operationalisation of BRT and urban transport systems in similar contexts is required.
- Experience in Tanzania or East Africa is desirable.
- Experience in African infrastructure and related services development is desirable.
- Experience in African public-private partnerships is desirable.
- Commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Closing date: 01 March 2021